History of the Department:
- Established in the year 1968, at the old campus in Kalasipalyam.
With Prof. Y. Azeez Ahmed as founder HOD.
- It started with the first batch of students of 16 students.
- The Degree Course (CBZ) started two years later.
Level of Study :Under Graduate (B.Sc.)
Combinations : Botany, Chemistry, Zoology (CBZ)
Dr.Sabiha Sultana M.Sc., M.Phil, Ph.D. :Professor& HOD
Dr. Abdul Khayum M.Sc., Ph.D : Professor
Mr. Nayaz Ahmed M.Sc., M.Phil : Lecturer
Non Teaching Faculty
Mr.Venkatgiri :Lab Attender
- Seminars by students are a regular feature of the Dept.
- Students use OHP / LCD and Internet for their presentations.
- Field trips are regularly conducted for the practical knowledge of the subject & also, collection of specimens for submissions in practical examinations.
- Visits to various research Institutions and Industrial Establishments as per the syllabus is also a regular feature of the Department.
- Botanical plant collection toursare regularlyconducted for B.Sc. studentsto train them in the technique of preservation and preparation of Herbarium.
- Permanent slide preparation methods are taught at III & IV semester level.
- Assignments are given regularly.
- Previous years question papers are solved in classes.
- Regular tests are given for evaluating performance of the students.
- Research Projects involving B.Sc. students,creates an urge for in-depth knowledge in thesubject, inspiring them to pursue higher studies.
Research Activities of the Department
The faculty is actively involved in Research activities &have presented papers in National & International Symposia Seminars / Conferences.
By Students …
- Research projects are given to students.They make use of the available Lab facilities and guidance from teachers to conduct their research work.
- Under the guidance of Dr. NajmaBano, a groupof final BSc students have completed research project and presented Two Papers at National level Conferences and have secured FIRST Position.
Annual Science Exhibition
Students actively participate in the Annual Science Exhibition. They prepare Models on various topics of Interest & display.
Collection Trips organized by the Department
The Department has organized several trips/ tours for practical understanding of subjects like Ecology, Taxonomy & Biodiversity of plants. In addition these Tours are a regular source of specimen collection to the Dept & practical examination submissions for student
Places Visited during Plant collection Trips/Tours
Lalbagh Botanical Gardens, Savanadurga, Hesaraghatta,Shivanahalli (Baneraghatta Forest area), KanakapuraThipagundanahalli.Shrirangapatana, Chamundi Hills, Gokarna, Karwar. Coorg, Abbe Falls, Madikere, Sirsi, Jog Falls Forest Area, Agumbe,Bababudanagiri ,Kemmanagunde, Ooty, Connor(Tamil Nadu), Goa,Darjeeling, Kolkota (West Bengal)
Institutes Visited during Trips/Tours
Indian Institute of Science (IISC)
Ghandhi Krishi Vignana Kendra (GKVK)
Jawaharlal Nehru centre for Scientific &Advanced Studies& Research (JNC)
Central Food Technology Research Institute (CFTRI)-Mysore
Defence food & Research Laboratory (DFRL)-Mysore
Indian Spice reseachcentre - Madikere.
Pasteaur Institute - Ooty
Government Tea Processing Factory –Ooty
Indian National OceanoGraphy Institute – Goa
King Fisher -Goa
Indian Botanical Garden (Kolkota)
National Herbarium (Kolkota)
Darjeeling Botanical Garden & Herbarium –Darjeeling.
Alumini of the Department
Mr. Syed SadakathPeeran, Former Chairman Al –Ameen Educational Society
Mr. Zameer Pasha IAS
Mr. Mehboob Khan, Sub Registar Revenue Department.
Prof. RahmathAtaaz, Vice Principal & HOD Zoology Department Al-Ameen College
Prof. Abdul Khayum Associate Prof. Dept. of Botany, Al-Ameen College
Mr. Omar Farooq, HOD,Dept. of Microbiology, Al-Ameen College
MsNishathAltaf, Lecturer, Biotechnology Dept. Al-Ameen College, And Many More….