The Department aims to train students in Microbiology withthe overall interest of each and every student.Every student is seen as an asset to the society and therefore the department inculcates value based training with an unbiased attitude keeping with the ethos of the Al- Ameen Educational Society “Service to Society through excellence in Education” Each student who leaves the corridor of this department should cherish the time well spent - equipped with the subject knowledge both theoretically and practically, to be able to face the ever increasing competition outside with the confidence gained through his or her learning experience in the department.
The Microbiology Department started as an off shoot of the Department of Botany in the year 1989. Al-Ameen Arts, Science and Commerce College was one of the first few colleges to have introduced Microbiology as one of the options in the B.Sccourse in Bangalore University. The department was headed by Prof.Basheerullah Khan from its inception to the year 1997;then Prof. Dr.NajmaBano headed the Department up to the year 2000 and thenMs. Victoria Peter headed the Department up to the year 2010.From the year 2010 till date the department is headed by Prof. Omar Farooq.
- The department has to its credit good consistent results with cent percent results most of the time.Most of the students secure distinction.
- The department also carries out projects in collaboration with industries and Research Institutes like Institute of Animal Health&Veterinary Biologicals , Ambedkar Medical College, BhagwanMahaveer Jain Hospital, Jayadeva Institute of Cardiology,Kempe Gowda Institute of Medical Sciences, K.C. Das, Karnataka Compost Development Corporation to name a few.
- The department conducts seminars on recent trends and research which are presented by the students and they are asked to submit a report on the same. Stem cells in transplantation, Interferon therapy,Protein Engineering,Cosmids and Xenotransplants to name a few.
- The department carried out the blood testing camp with the NSS section of the campus for entire taluk in Hosakote in the year 2003 & 2004.It also carries out blood group screening for the students of the campusand maintains a record, following which there are many student blood donors from the College. The Jayadeva Institute of Medical Sciences even acknowledged the contribution of the student community.
- The department conducts educational visits on a regular basis to institutes of repute in and out of Bangalore like Serum Institute of India, National Institute of Virology (Pune), Centre for Cell and Molecular Biology (Hyderabad),Indian Institute of Chemical Biology (Calcutta), National Institute of Oceanography(Goa), Tamil Nadu Agriculture University (Coimbatore), Central Food Technological Research Institute (Mysore)& institutes in & around Bangalore.
- The department carries out projects on a regular basis.Some of the projects were presented for posterpresentation in National conferences held in different parts of the country.In-vitro production of Micro-diesel from fungal and bacterial strains using vegetable oil was the only paper of the UG level to be chosen for the Oral Presentation in the Department of Biotechnology at the National Conference of the ISCAB on Biotechnological Strategies for Biodiversity conservation held at Kuvempu University, Shimoga.
- The alumnus of the department are pursuing research or doctorates in the field or are well placed both within and outside country in pharmaceutical firms, diagnostic centre, educational institutions to name a few. To highlight this are our very own faculty Mr. Omar Farooq and Ms.NishathAltaf who are the alumni of the department.
Laminar Air flow bench, Research, Compound, Dissection & Stereoscopic Microscopes, Autoclaves, Hot Air Oven, Incubators, BOD Incubator , Refrigerators, Cooling Centrifuge, UV Spectrophotometer,PC based UV-VIS Spectrophotometer, Mono-pan Balance, Digital Electronic Balance, OHP/Slide/LCD Projector, pH Meters, Gerber’s Centrifuge, Mycorrihza Sieve Device, Double Distillation Unit, Water Deionizing Plant, Electrophoretic Units(Vertical&Horizontal), Orbital Shaking Incubator, Microfuge, Digital Photoelectric Colorimeters, Membrane Filter Unit, Spin Win Centrifuge, UV Transilluminator,Plant Tissue Culture Rack,Digital Camera, Micro Image Projection System are some of the resources available in the department.
THE DEPARTMENT FORE-SEES:
Conducting more projects and seminars and training the students to give them a strong footing on the practical aspects as well as keeping them well informed on the “in thing’ in the subject so as to enable them to contribute to the ever increasing flow of research activity and also enabling them to contribute for the welfare of the society as a whole….………..
Mr. Omar Farooq – HOD
Mrs. Ayesha Siddiqua – Lecturer