OBJECTIVES AND AIM OF THE DEPARTMENT:
- To provide holistic education to the students.
- To provide hands on experience,for the students to connect with the world outside the classroom.
- To create social awareness about the burning social issues in the student community.
- To involve students in activism towards social justice.
- To train the students to meet the challenges of life.
DEPARTMENT PROFILE: (History of the department)
Date of Establishment: July 1968
- Prof.Ramchandra Rao
- Prof. Syed Anwar
- A guest lecture was arranged by Dr. Rajesh R.,Associate Professor,Department of Sociology,Bangalore University,Bangalore on the theme-sociology-its future prospects.
- Girl students attended a seminar entitled “Shakti” on empowerment of women in Mount Carmel College,Bangalore
- International Women’s Day was celebrated by conducting following events:
- Debate and Essay Writing Competitions,
- A lecture by a lady student’s counsellor.
- The movie “Water” by Deepa Mehta was shown to thestudents, followed by group discussion in the class room.
- Two of the Sociology Students were selected in a workshop of 40 students from the city, to present a Student’s Manifesto for Elections in a press conference,on the eve of National elections 2014.
- Sociology students participated in a Marathon Run for the “Cause of Safe Benguluru”,orgainsed by Lion’s InternationalClub, St .Aloysius Degree College and other NGOs in the city.Nearly three thousand students form different educational institutions attended the event.
- A survey was done by students on the theme “Impact of Social Networking sites on youth”.
- An interactive session with the members of Alcoholic Anonymous was arranged to create social awareness.
- 100 books in department library
- Wi fi facility
- LCD/ OHP
FUTURE PLAN OF ACTION:
- To conduct national and international seminars
- To carry out challenging research projects
- To increase the number of activities in the department.